Thursday, January 24, 2013

Start

Hello,
This is my blog about my raspberry pi experiences and projects.
I got my Pi (Model B) some weeks ago and I am very happy with it. Yeah, playing!
If you have any suggestions or like something, please leave a comment. Since I am not a native english speaker, ignore any spelling- or grammer mistakes ;-)


Setup & Installing

Things you need before starting:
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Power supply (5V, 700mA min.)
  • SD card (I am using a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 16GB Class 10)
  • HDMI cable
  • Screen with HDMI connector
  • USB Keyboard, mouse
  • Ethernet cable or usb wifi (if you want network/internet). If you want to use an usb wifi adapter make sure it works under Linux/Raspberry Pi.
Before you can use your raspberry pi, you need to download and install an operating system on the SD card.
I choose the standard Raspbian "wheezy" image (based on Debian).
Download here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
Note: I am using the hard-float version, since it is faster. Right now (January, 2013) if you want to use Java, you have to use the soft-float version (at least for the Oracle/Sun Version as far as I know).

After downloading I followed this guide: http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup for formating & copying the image to my SD card.

Now just insert the SD Card, connect all the cables/keyboard etc. and start the raspberry pi by plugging the power supply in.
Note: I had to connect the HDMI cable and start the screen prior to starting the raspberry pi, otherwise there was no picture.

No comments: